This is an ACGME-accredited fellowship in Dermatopathology that begins July 1 of each year. The Dermatopathology Unit interprets over 90,000 skin biopsies per year, including interesting cases from Shands Hospital and the Department of Dermatology.The latter receives specimens from across the state of Florida and the entire Southeast with an active outside consultation service. The Dermatopathology service is closely coordinated with the Department of Dermatology, and fellows actively participate in Dermatology clinics and conferences. The Dermatopathology unit performs a wide range of immunohistochemical staining. The Dermatopathology laboratories utilize state of the art molecular techniques, which are used in the diagnosis of cutaneous lymphoproliferative disorders. The fellow is expected to master these techniques that are performed on a daily basis. Appropriate training in Pathology for those candidates with a Dermatology background and in Clinical Dermatology for Pathology graduates will be provided. The fellow will be expected to identify areas of interest and to pursue them through a clinical and/or basic research project.
The UF Dermatopathology Fellowship is a one-year training program designed to provide a broad and intensive exposure to all areas of dermatopathology. Our goal is to develop and nurture a skilled and competent practicing dermatopathologist. We can accomplish this through exposure to a wide-variety of cases, opportunities for clinicopathologic correlation, teaching, and scholarly activity. There are two paths for this one-year fellowship. Pathology-trained fellows will be provided with 8 months of clinical dermatology exposure and Dermatology-trained fellows will rotate through 8 months of general surgical pathology training.
- Train strong clinical and academic dermatopathologists.
- We want to offer training pathways for both pathologist and dermatologist to become a skilled and board-certified dermatopathologist.
- We aim for the trainee to become proficient in handling good case volume, complex, common, uncommon and challenging cases.
- Our program also aims to provide increased opportunities for clinicopathologic correlation, learning different and cutting-edge diagnostic testing, and when to refer in our field.
- Our program has a yearly goal for our fellows to complete at least two scholarly activities prior to graduation.
- Provide annual patient safety activities and opportunities (i.e, RCA) in the fellow’s curriculum.
We require that all applicants pass USMLE steps 1, 2, 3 and the CSA.
- Higher USMLE scores are more competitive and assist us in selecting applicants for interviews.
By start of fellowship, the applicant must be board eligible or certified in anatomic pathology, anatomic and clinical pathology or clinical dermatology.
For International Medical Graduates
- We require that all IMG applicants have valid ECFMG certificates.
- Clinical experience in pathology is especially helpful as well as previous experience in working in the U.S. health care system.
- The University of Florida supports J1 visas but does not support H1B visas.
Date of Next Available Position
July 2023 – June 2024.
Commensurate with level of training. For more information, click here.
- Tricia Missall, MD, PhD. -Fellowship Director
- Vladimir Vincek, M.D., Ph.D.
- Kiran Motaparthi, M.D.
- Addie Walker, M.D.
- Leah Hooey, D.O.
Current Fellow 2021-2022
- Clinton Enos, MD
- Megan McCann – Residency Program Coordinator
Completed application packets, due by August 1st 2021.
- Completed Standard Application Form
- Medical school dean’s letter
- Medical school transcript
- Three letters of recommendation (one from residency program director)
- Curriculum vitae
- Personal statement
- Copy of USMLE or COMLEX score report
The interview period generally occurs between September – November
Send completed packets to
UF Dermatology – Dermatopathology Fellowship Program.
Attention: Megan McCann
Department of Dermatology College of Medicine University of Florida
4037 NW 86th Terrace 4th Floor
Gainesville, Florida 32606
direct email – email@example.com